MediSounds® Sound Meditation for COMPASSION
(adapted from Kabbalah of Prayer, Sacred Sounds and the Soul’s Journey, by Shulamit Elson, Lindesfarne Books ©2004)
We all deal with a lot of stress. We are also really hard on ourselves, holding ourselves to impossible standards’ In addition, we often have difficulty forgiving others. All of this takes a toll, on our health, our careers and on our relationships. We risk bitterness and regret when we are disappointed, when all we want is to live fully and lovingly.
MediSounds Compassion Meditation is:
• A wordless reminder to treat ourselves a whole lot better, to recognize and accept our own humanity and the humanity of others.
• A process that reminds us we are part of something greater than the sum of our own problems.
• A process that releases us from an attachment to those who caused us pain, as well as to the pain itself, bringing energy and freedom of thought and action. This results in a deep kind of forgiveness, for it comes from the recognition of our own humanity and the humanity of the other.
Compassion is the highest form of wisdom. If practiced consistently, it will change your life, bringing comfort through a felt sense of connection to a greater reality, and better relationships in your daily interactions.
The MediSounds Sound Meditation Compassion Process and Practice ©2004:
1- Compassion for the Self
• Close your eyes and observe one or two minutes of silence. Concentrate on the inhalations and exhalations of your breath through your nose as you relax your body. Without holding your breath or prolonging your exhalation, allow yourself to become aware of the “space” between breathing in and out.
• Keeping your eyes closed, place your hand over your heart, and make the sound of AH. Project the sound through your heart center, as if it were your mouth, If you are projecting and pitching the sound correctly, you will feel a vibration underneath your hand.
• Now, make the sound of “AH” three times, sending the sound effortlessly through your heart center. Focus on generating compassion for yourself. By intending to sound your sound through your heart, as if it were your mouth, you will automatically find the right pitch. Make each “AH” sound for only as long as it seems natural for your breath.
As you make each sound remember to keep your intention focused on generating compassion for yourself.
Remember, we cannot experience compassion for others unless we are compassionate to ourselves.
2- Compassion for Loved Ones
• Make another three “AH” sounds, still directing them through your heart center. This time keep your focus on generating compassion toward a specific individual or group you know who could use support and love.
3- Compassion for Those Who Bring Difficulty
Make another three “AH” sounds concentrating on sending your sounds through your heart, but this time keep your intention directed toward generating compassion toward an individual or group that is personally causing you difficulty. You may notice that with this intention in mind, your “AH” sound may have a different tone. This is not unusual and will not detract from the power of the sound.
4- Compassion for All
• Once more, make three “AH” sounds through your heart center. This time keep your focus on generating compassion toward all living beings, as well as the universe itself.
5- Compassion for the Self
• Finish your MediSounds practice by once more sending the “AH” sound through your heart center three times, focusing once again on generating compassion for yourself.
Do not force your voice. Only make the sounds as long as your breath lasts, without tiring yourself.
Sit straight, feet on the floor. If you sitting with your feet tucked, best to do that on the floor, so a portion of your body will have contact with the ground.
Begin by developing a practice of sounding 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night. Over time, you can increase the number of sounds that you make during each of the five parts of this prayer.
After the MediSounds Meditation:
• Stand up, rotate your head from side to side slowly.
• Rotate your shoulders backwards and then forwards.
• Take your hands above your head and slowly move them down the back of your body, 3X.
• Take your hands above your head and slowly more them down the front of your body. 3X.
• Touch your toes.
Have a glass of water.